Article by Doctor Grant E. Williams, MD
Professor of Internal Medicine
Boston University Medical Center - Cambridge, MA
Health Insurance for Cancer Patients
Cancer is fast surpassing heart disease as the biggest global killer, claiming one life in every four people. Environmental conditions, social trends and the expense of treatment are all large factors in the prominence of the disease.
77% of all new cancer cases in the US are in people over the age of 55. It is believed that the older we get, the more we build toxins in our bodies that trigger cancer. Thankfully those of us in developed countries have access to treatment, but healthcare for cancer patients comes at a price.
- More than twelve million people are currently living with cancer in the US. In addition, over one million people are diagnosed with cancer every year.
- About eighty million people do not have adequate insurance to pay all the bills associated with cancer care.
- In the last fifty years, harmful industrial chemicals containing carcinogens have increased in the atmosphere by 500% and this figure is constantly rising.
- Food source carcinogen pollution is another worrying factor that is on the rise.
- The annual cost of cancer in the United States is around $110 billion. That is 2% of the GNP.
- There are over one hundred types of cancer. Every single part of your body can contract the disease.
- In 2008, 7.6 million people died of cancer - 13% of all deaths worldwide.
- Last year, there were over 7.5 million deaths worldwide from cancer, and this figure is always on the rise.
- More than two-thirds of cancer related deaths occur in developing countries.
- Tobacco accounts for most preventable cancer deaths the world over.
- Chronic infections such as Hepatitis B cause 20% of cancers.
- A third of cancers can be cured, provided they are detected early on and properly treated.
- A third of cancers can be avoided by leading a healthy lifestyle, taking regular exercise, not smoking and eating a balanced diet.
A National Struggle
American cancer patients face a real struggle when trying to find insurance to cover their diseases. Thousands are rejected ever year because cancer is considered a pre-existing health condition by iinsurers. Basically, cancer suffers are considered too high risk to insure.
Unfortunately, there is currently no federal law that requires insurers to cover cancer patients. However, if Obamacare is not repealed, there could be a light at the end of the tunnel for suffers in 2014 when denying people health insurance on the basis of preexisting conditions will become illegal.
To some extent people working for organizations are helped by the 1996 Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. But, for the self or unemployed, who are on individual health insurance, the provisions are insufficient.
Cancer patients often find it impossible to pay for treatment. Many insurance companies will refuse to even provide a quote. Constant refusals can lead to desperation and drive those without hope to purchase fraudulent health insurance from deceitful vendors.
Cancer patients who are unable to obtain comprehensive insurance can be easily lured into phony plans by unscrupulous merchants. These fake plans do not provide the needed financial support to cancer sufferers who require full cover.
Pre Existing Condition Insurance – Guaranteed!
Every American cancer patient is welcomed to Guaranteed Issue Health Insurance. Our plans offer guaranteed insurance for cancer patients regardless of pre-existing conditions. Even if you have been rejected elsewhere and consider yourself uninsurable, we will accept you.
Insurance is State regulated. We have agents working in 50 States, each knowledgeable as to pre-existing health insurance in their own community, who'll offer you:
- No refusals on employment restrictions and pre-existing conditions
- Up to $180,000 per year in medical expenses
- $20,000 per year in hospital procedures
Join us and find the peace of mind that accompanies comprehensive coverage for you and your family. Visit our cancer health insurance page for details on our real guaranteed health plan for cancer patients where those with pre-existing conditions never have to endure unceremonious rejection.