Article by Doctor Grant E. Williams, MD
Professor of Internal Medicine
Boston University Medical Center - Cambridge, MA
Although heart disease kills more citizens per year, cancer is expected to soon become the biggest global killer, taking a quarter of all lives annually. Social and environmental factors, plus the availability of treatment all contribute to the growing issue of the disease.
Most people (over three quarters) diagnosed with the disease are more than 55 years old. It is widely thought that this is due to a buildup of toxins within our bodies which accrue during our lifetimes. While people living in the United States have access to cancer treatment, it is very expensive and a good health insurance policy is essential.
- There are over a million diagnoses of cancer annually. 12,000,000 people are living with the disease right now.
- One quarter of our citizens don’t have the requisite insurance necessary to pay for treatments.
- Carcinogenic toxins have risen in the atmosphere five times over in half a century. This figure is on the increase on an exponential scale.
- Worryingly, carcinogens can be found in many processed foodstuffs and little is being done to raise public awareness.
- Two percent of the gross national product is spent on cancer related costs each year, amounting to approximately $110bn.
- There isn’t a single part of the human body that is not susceptible to cancer. In all there are well over one hundred documented types of the disease.
- Nearly eight million deaths were attributed to cancer globally last year. 12% of deaths in total.
- 66% of deaths related to cancer occur in the developing world.
- The most preventable deaths worldwide are related to tobacco, and in particular, smoking.
- Bodily infection (Hepatitis being one example) causes 1 in 5 cancers.
- 1 in 3 cases are curable, given the correct treatment and early detection.
- 1 in 3 cancers are preventable with the correct lifestyle choices such as exercising regularly, eating a balanced diet and avoiding smoking.
Cancer has Become a National Issue
It can be very difficult for patients to get the insurance they desperately need, as insurers consider cancer to be one of the most serious ‘pre-existing conditions’ and come with an elevated risk factor as compared to other illnesses.
Federal law does not currently require that insurance companies should cover those with pre-existing conditions. The new healthcare reforms will make life easier, but until 2014 when Obamacare comes into effect, the situation will remain the same.
The HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) helps people working for organizations get health coverage, but for those who are jobless or self-employed there are few provisions for dealing with life threatening diseases.
Those that cannot pay for treatment will often find themselves without options. Many die each year due to lack of adequate healthcare funding. Desperate plan seekers can often end up buying useless plans from dishonest providers. Phony plans may provide some coverage, but not to the extent that patients need and therefore are rendered pretty useless when it comes to making a claim.
Guaranteeing the Healthcare You Deserve
Those suffering from any pre-existing condition should know that there are plans available that will give you the coverage that you need, when you need it. Guaranteed Issue Health Insurance is one such provider that has been insuring people with pre-existing conditions for decades and knows the industry inside out.
Our belief is that those with pre-existing conditions need insurance more than anybody and deserve the same treatment as anyone else. Our agents work in 50 states and all of them have a comprehensive knowledge of the requirements of health insurance for pre-existing conditions. They will offer:
- Annual medical expenses of up to $180,000
- Hospital procedures worth up to $20,000
- Employment restrictions and pre-existing conditions are not a concern
If you are suffering from a pre-existing condition, adequate coverage will afford you the peace of mind to deal with the issue, without having to deal with financial concerns. Submit the above form to know the rates you can expect to pay for a policy. All are welcome to call us on our toll free number to discuss your situation and requirements with a dedicated, understanding professional. You can qualify for a guaranteed health insurance cancer policy today. We look forward to your call.